Monday, August 6, 2012

Makin' Bacon


So last week I got to kill another pig.  For many people in the United States this sounds like a disgusting job and the first couple of times I did it I would have agreed.  Now all I see is the meat.  The intestines, the heart, the liver, basically all of the inside parts of the animal don't bother me any more.  I just take them out and separate the parts that I can eat.  Here is a picture after the pig has been killed, shaved, and opened up.  I am hamming it up for the camera.  And yes, pun definitely intended...


I have many graphic pictures of animal slaughter.  In fact I am thinking about doing a blog post totally dedicated to how to humanely kill and butcher different kinds of animals.  That post will certainly have a warning for the faint of heart.  For now here is a nice picture of the pig after the skin has been  removed but before the animal has been quartered.  Oh tasty tasty pork.   


This is Natalia while we are killing to pig.  She sees this kind of stuff all the time but does not like to participate in the cleaning of the animal.  She is just waiting until the meat doesn't look like a pig anymore and then we will cook it and she can enjoy the wonderful flavors.  She seems to be thinking, "Why is this gringo taking pictures of pigs". 


The pig was killed in honor of the matriarch of the house's birthday.  The man in the red shirt is her son who is visiting her from Spain for the first time in 5 years.  For their mother's birthday they bought here a new stove and a new washing machine.  This is the son's (and daughter) installing the new stove.  It is a good looking stove and I certainly look forward to eating many tasty meals off of it in the future. 


This is Guido.  He likes beer, but then again who doesn't?  Guido very kindly offering me a quick sip of beer between my responsibilities as paparazzi of the Las Mercedes neighborhood. 


Like I've said before, it's always nice to end the blog with a photo of good looking women.  Except the person in blue.  Not a woman.  Alright, I'm off to Peru.  So in the next few weeks I will try and post as much as possible about my adventures in Lima and Cajamarca.  This is going to be fun.   


No comments:

Post a Comment